A spokesman for Sudan's Rapid Support Forces said that only a "small" group of 657 Sudanese military personnel remain
Sudan announces further reduction of troop levels in Yemen
The Sudanese government’s Rapid Support Forces announced on Tuesday the reduction of the number of troops deployed in Yemen’s war.
Fighting alongside the Saudi-led coalition against the Houthi rebels since March 2015, Sudan’s deployments have declined sharply in recent months. According to Anadolu news agency, Brig. Gen. Jamal Juma Adam, spokesman for the Rapid Support Forces, said that only a "small" group of 657 Sudanese military personnel now remain in Yemen.
"Even the command ship of the Sudanese forces returned to Khartoum," he said, adding that his country's forces only had a defensive role in war in Yemen.
Adam added that the Sudanese forces in Yemen were operating in two sectors to repel attacks from the Houthis: the UAE sector inside the interim capital of Aden and the Saudi sector that runs along the Saudi-Yemeni border.
Last month, after returning from Washington D.C., Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok said that the number of Sudanese forces fighting with the Saudi-led coalition since the start of the war was reduced to 5,000 from 15,000.