National

The NGO said it removed more than 10,000 landmines, IEDs and unexploded shells in Al-Me’raj, Zera’ah and Al-Mizan districts

Saudi-backed landmine project clears explosives from Yemen's Taiz governorate

Masam, a Saudi-backed initiative to free Yemen of landmines, announced on Thursday that it cleared about 10 mined areas on the west coast of Taiz governorate in southwestern Yemen. 

Col. Othman Al-Jahouri, the team's project leader, said in a statement that the team secured areas in the Al-Me’raj, Zera’ah and Al-Mizan districts. 

Al-Jahouri and his team removed more than 10,000 mines, improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and unexploded shells, enabling locals to return to their homes.  

According to some estimates, the Iran-backed Houthis have planted more than a million landmines since the start of the Saudi-coalition bombing campaign in Yemen in March 2015. The explosives have been found in schools, hospitals, farms and drinking wells, and have so far claimed at least 9,000 lives, including women and children. 

Al-Jahouri said his team is currently working to clear a minefield of more than 17,000 square meters in the same area along Yemen’s Red Sea coast.

 


Keywords

Comments

Latest News