Marib City hospitals declared a state of emergency, appealing for blood donations for the wounded
Death toll from Marib attack surpasses 110, overwhelms local hospitals
The undersecretary of health in Yemen's internationally recognized government, Abdulraqeeb Al-Haidari, said on Sunday that the death toll from the attack on a military training camp in Marib governorate reached 111.
The death toll has continued to climb after a number of soldiers died of serious injuries from a suspected ballistic missile attack on Saturday, Al-Haidari said, adding that as of Sunday 68 soldiers were hospitalized in the governorate's capital Marib City, six of whom were in intensive care.
Photos of the military camp, known as Reception, showed extensive damage to its mosque, where soldiers were gathered after the Maghrib (evening) prayer on Saturday when the attack happened.
An official in the internationally recognized government's Ministry of Defense told Almasdar Online that the Houthis fired a ballistic missile at the Reception camp. At least one drone aircraft was also seen hovering in the area prior to the attack, according to various eye witnesses.
Located in the Al-Mayl area, northwest of Marib City, the Reception camp housed mostly soldiers of the 4th Presidential Protection Brigade, led by Brig. Gen. Mahran Al-Qubati, who survived.
Marib City hospitals declared a state of emergency to receive the wounded and appeal for blood donations to help those who could be rescued. Local medical sources said that hospital refrigerators had filled up with dead bodies from the military camp.
The Houthis have not claimed responsibility for the attack, which coincided with renewed fighting between government forces and the rebels in Nihm district, east of Sana’a late last week.